If you are looking for a warm mouth watering easy meal for supper tonight – then here you go. My Barley & Chicken Stuffed Eggplant is perfect for a cold night coupled with a side of Tomato Basil Soup or small house salad. I love to try new things; this is worth trying.
Barely & Chicken Stuffed Eggplant
- 2 medium Eggplant
- 2 tbls + 1 tsp grape seed oil
- 8 oz. ground turkey or chicken
- 2 medium bell peppers, chopped (yellow or red)
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- ½ cup raw pine nuts
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) organic basil diced tomatoes (BPA free)
- 1 cup Chicken broth
- 1/2 cup raw pearl barley (or quinoa)
- 3 cups baby spinach (optional)
- 4 Tbsp chopped fresh Basil
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 tsp. Curry powder
- Sea Salt and Pepper to tate
1. Line a baking sheet with foil. Halve eggplants lengthwise, scoop out flesh with spoon and leave a 1/2 inch thick shell. Coat eggplants with 1 tsp. oil, invert on baking sheet and broil for 12 minutes. When done, save your outer shell for stuffing.
2. Over medium-high heat, cook chicken, peppers, onion, green onions, garlic, and chopped eggplant in 2tbls of grape seed oil for 4 minutes. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, curry, salt, and pepper, and barley. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 25 minutes or until barley is tender.
3. Stir spinach, pine nuts, and basil into chicken mixture. Heat until spinach is wilted and then spoon into eggplant halves. Sprinkle with cheese and serve warm.
Optional: Can add chopped olives or substitute quinoa for barley
Minutes to Prepare: 20
Minutes to Cook: 25
Number of Servings: 4