Brussels Slaw with Coconut-Lime Dressing
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 4 cups thinly shredded brussels
- 2 tbsp finely diced red onion
- 2 tbsp lime zest and juice of one lime (can add more if you like more zing)
- 1/2 reg. cup coconut milk
- 3-4 drops stevia
- 1 tbsp organic agave nectar (optional)
- pinch or two of himalayan or sea salt
- 1/2 cup raw macadamia nuts, roughly chopped (optionally: chopped cashews, chopped almonds, crumbled bacon, golden raisons)
Clean and thinly shred brussels (I use my food processor). In a large bowl combine both brussles, onion, and lime zest. Wisk together lime juice, coconut milk, agave, stevia and salt. Coat brussels mixture, tossing well, using part or all of the dressing as you may. Top with chopped macadamia nuts or toss them into the slaw.
Note: Brussels is most ideal if it isn’t really cold otherwise the coconut oils set up. Any chilled left overs are best if allowed to warm up a wee bit before serving for this same reason. This is a yummy dish alongside another salad, quiona pilaf or chipotle chicken. I enjoy it along side roasted veggies of almost any sort. You can even tuck this into a fish wrap.
Crockpot Cranberry Chicken with Barley
- 1 ½ cup pearled barley, soaked in cold water for 12-24 hours then drained and rinsed
- 1 onion diced
- 1 bunch of green onions diced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- ¾ cup dried (no sugar added) cranberries or pomegrante seeds
- ¼ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 3 cups free range chicken broth
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 tsp. fresh chopped basil
- 2 tsp. herbamare seasoning (from Fiesta or Whole foods)
- 2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp. poultry seasoning
- sea salt to taste (2 tsp.)
- 4 free range boneless chicken breast (frozen)
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup snap peas chopped (optional)
Add the pre soaked and cleaned barley to crockpot along with all other ingredients and stir. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. When barley and chicken are cooked you can pull chicken breast out and shred and stir back in or serve chicken breast whole over the barley mixture.
Note: (Can add diced mango, snap peas chopped, or pomegranate seeds)
Serve with Brussels Slaw or a fresh Sliced Tomato and Avocado Salad.