Happy Summer. With Memorial Day being only a few days away I had to share one of my favorite recipes with you. This is a must because it’s easy, delicious, and will defeintly impress your guest. Get in your kitchen and have fun!
Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro-Coleslaw
- 20 medium prawns, peeled and deveined
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder (can add more if you like it more spicy or omit)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 corn tortillas -non GMO or (you can replace with fresh flour tortillas or a purple cabbage leaf)
- coconut oil for frying
- chopped cilantro
- diced tomatoes
- sliced avocado
- fresh lime quartered
For the Cilantro-Coleslaw:
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups finely shredded coleslaw (I mix ¼ purple and ¼ white cabbage)
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon of southwestern seasoning
- juice and zest from one lime
- salt to taste
- In a bowl whisk together olive oil, garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt and chipotle (if using). Add in shrimp and toss to coat completely. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes to give the flavors a chance to marry.
- Cook shrimp in a skillet on medium heat until pink and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Turn off heat and cover to keep warm.
- Use enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of a small pan, about 2 tablespoons. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook tortillas one at a time until soft, about 30 seconds on each side. Fold over to make a taco shell. After you cook each tortilla, place them on paper towels to absorb any of the oil left over.
- Stir all ingredients for the Cilantro-Coleslaw and let it sit In refrigerator for 20 minutes (Can do this first).
- Spoon 5 shrimp into each taco shell. Top with cilantro -coleslaw, tomato, avocado and an extra sprinkle of fresh chopped cilantro and an extra squeeze of fresh lime juice.
I served these with organic black beans, Garden of Eatin blue chips and organic salsa,